YouTube Shorts is the latest addition to the YouTube platform, offering a new way to share short, vertical videos that are no more than 60 seconds long. Launched in September 2020, YouTube Shorts has quickly gained popularity among content creators and viewers. In this article, we shall explore what YouTube Shorts are, how they differ from traditional YouTube videos, and most importantly, how to upload them to the platform.
What are YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts are short, vertical videos that are designed to be viewed on mobile devices. They can be up to 60 seconds long and are usually shot in a vertical format. Similar to other short-form video platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels, YouTube Shorts are designed to be easily digestible and highly engaging.
One of the typical features of YouTube Shorts is the ability to add music to your video. YouTube has an extensive library of licensed music creators can use to enhance their Shorts. Creators can also use their original audio or sounds, making creating unique and engaging content easier.
YouTube Shorts also include various creative tools that make it easy for creators to add special effects, text overlays, and filters to their videos. These tools allow creators to add a personal touch to their Shorts and make them stand out.
How are YouTube shorts different from traditional YouTube videos?
One of the main differences between YouTube Shorts and traditional YouTube videos is the length. While traditional YouTube videos can range from a few minutes to several hours in length, Shorts are limited to 60 seconds. This shorter length lets creators quickly capture viewers’ attention and keep them engaged throughout the video.
Another key difference is the format. YouTube Shorts are designed to be viewed on mobile devices, so they are shot in a vertical format. This format is optimized for mobile viewing and allows viewers to consume content easily.
YouTube Shorts also have a different distribution algorithm than traditional YouTube videos. Shorts are featured prominently on the YouTube app’s home screen, making it easier for viewers to discover new content. Additionally, Shorts can appear on the Shorts shelf, a dedicated section of the app for Shorts content.
How to upload YouTube shorts?
So, you’re ready to take the plunge! Getting started couldn’t be simpler, whether you’re uploading from your desktop or phone. Here are the step-by-step guides below to upload YouTube shorts and thus take that first step on your YouTube Shorts journey.
Uploading YouTube Shorts is a relatively simple process that can be done using the YouTube mobile app and computer. Here are the steps to upload a YouTube Short:
YouTube Shorts on mobile: Step-by-step
Step 1: Sign in to your account through the YouTube app
Step 2: Open the YouTube mobile app and tap the “+” icon at the bottom of the screen.
Step 3: Select “Create a Short” option from the menu given.
Step 4: Record your video by holding down the capture button. You can record and edit multiple clips together using the editing tools provided.
Step 5: Add music or sound effects to your video using the audio library provided by YouTube. You can also use your original audio or sounds.
Step 6: Add text overlays, filters, and other creative elements to your video using the editing tools provided.
Step 7: Preview your video to ensure it looks how you want it to.
Step 8: Add a title and description to your video.
Step 9: Choose a thumbnail image for your video. YouTube will automatically generate several options for you to choose from.
Step 10: Select the “Upload” button to publish your video.
YouTube Shorts on desktop: Step-by-step
Step 1: First you should Sign in to YouTube Studio.
Step 2: Click the Create button in the top right and select Upload videos.
Step 3: Select a video file with a vertical or square aspect ratio of up to 60 seconds in length.
Step 4: Fill out the various details and publish as you would do with a regular video.
Ensure you include #Shorts in the title or description of your video to help YouTube share your Shorts quicker!
Here are few tips for creating engaging YouTube Shorts:
Creating engaging YouTube Shorts takes a bit of practice, but there are a few tips that can help you get started:
- Keep it short: As the name suggests, YouTube Shorts should be short and sweet. They should be less than 60 seconds long, so focus on making every second count.
- Grab attention early: Ensure to grab the viewer’s attention within the first few seconds. Use a catchy hook or visually striking imagery to make your Shorts stand out.
- Focus on a single idea: Shorts should have a single, clear idea that you can communicate quickly. Avoid trying to cram too much into one video.
- Use music: Music can help set the tone for your Shorts and make them more engaging. Use upbeat, catchy music that fits the mood of your video.
- Make it visual: Use visuals to tell your story. Use engaging footage or animations to help bring your idea to life.
- Experiment with different formats: Try different formats, such as storytelling, comedy, or tutorials, to find what works best for your audience.
- Use text: Use text overlays to highlight important points or add context to your Shorts.
- Engage with your audience: Respond to comments and feedback on your Shorts to build a relationship with your viewers.
- Stay consistent: Post regularly to keep your viewers engaged and interested in your content.
- Promote your shorts: Share your Shorts on social media platforms and encourage your followers to share them with their friends to increase their reach.
Thus after following the steps mentioned above and the tips, one can make an effective YouTube short and upload it easily on YouTube.